Sunday 11 May 2008

La France Profunde

Last Sunday Susan was arriving in Paris from London at 12.37, and an hour later her parents were arriving from Amsterdam. This meant I had to drive to Paris on the last day of the Parisian school holiday.

When I called in for a quiet beer after shifting some rocks on Friday, Christophe at l'Image said that he would not drive to Paris on the last day of the school holidays but that he would be leaving "right now". I took his advice and decided to leave the saturday afternoon.

When I was checking the car before the trip I realised that the engine oil was way past due to be changed, and was looking very black. I called into the garage and booked the car in for a service and change of filters that afternoon. The garage is at a crossroads about 8km (5 miles) from Preuilly and 3 km from the nearest town (Yzeures);

This meant that I had a couple of hours in the countryside while the car was being serviced, so I took my camera and went for a walk. It was hot (29c according to the car thermometer) but there are some nice forests and shaded roadsides to explore.


It is an interesting time of year - most of the trees are fully leaved and the orchids are out, and the crops in the fields are looking most healthy. The walnut trees, however, are only just now starting to come into leaf. This is a typical kind of view we get in the area.


The wheat is looking really strong this year - I suppose because of all the rain in April - and I expect the farmers are anticipating a bumper crop - certainly if the look of this field is anything to go by.


For the next few weeks we will be posting from the bibliotech in Preuilly. If we don't respond to your comments it's because the library isn't open that day.

Simon

No comments:

Post a Comment