Sunday 9 February 2014

No Armada Here

 Clovelly Lawn Bowls Club has a location that easily rivals Plymouth Hoe. It sits on the headland between Waverley Cemetery and Clovelly Bay along Sydney's Eastern Beaches path. When we passed, on a hot summer's day in 2012, the greens were being well used.

The Club appears to have a very relaxed and friendly approach. Many (most?) of the players were barefoot, which struck me as fairly practical. I can remember accompanying my grandfather to his bowls club in the 1970s, and what a stuffy lot they were with regard to what you wore on the greens. Clovelly obviously take the view that so long you don't wear heels or something that will damage the green, it is fine.

*************************************************** 
I'm Back: I've been away visiting my family in Australia for the past 3 weeks. Simon caught the TGV with me. I got off at Charles de Gaulle, he took Eurostar to London for a few days, but then came back to Preuilly and lived the batchelor life for a couple of weeks. The temperature in Australia when I arrived was 34°C and stayed in the mid-30s for a few days. After that it settled into 16° minimum, 26° maximum every day. It is the driest start to the year that anyone can remember. I caught up with many friends and acquaintances, supported my parents while my mother had the first of her cataract operations, swam most days and did some wildlife watching. I flew with Etihad, who do a route that is divided into three 7 hour hops, stopping for a couple of hours in Abu Dhabi and Singapour. When I returned I met Simon in Paris and we did a couple of museums, lunched with friends and stayed for Rétromobile, before arriving home at midnight on Friday.

5 comments:

Tim said...

Welcome home...
Not too wet for you?
We've got some good surfing over the weir this morning, should you so desire....

How was Retroscomobilly...
I understand that a lot of the auction vehicules failed to make their reserve... what a shame for the investors, not...
There was an original Fiat 600 Multipla amongst them...
but there was no mention of whether or not it sold...
If I'd won the lottery, I'd've bought it...
fond memories of lifts in one as a child.

Simon said...

Tim - I understand that there were very few silly prices paid at auction, eitehr at Retromobile, or at the Auction at grande palais (was that bonhams?)

Liselle said...

Welcome back Susan! Despite the dry at least you didn't have the searing temperatures of the south. Mad season all round. Now if southern UK would send us some of their rain we could do a deal...

Tim said...

Simon, accorin' to the article on Auntie i-Beeb there were two auction houses involved at the Grand Palais...
but what did the Pope get for his Harley?
That didn't make the news...

Susan said...

Tim: I saw the Pope's Harley figure in the news, but can't remember what it was.

Post a Comment