Friday 24 October 2014

Célestine in the Autumn

Célestine parked at Chenonceau on Tuesday.
******************************************
A la cuisine hier: Yesterday was our first time attending the Loire Valley Cake Club, set up by Jean and for this meeting hosted by her in her new home. The theme was autumn cakes and Simon made Jamaican Ginger Cake while I made Medieval Pear and Walnut Cake (using our own pears and walnuts). I particularly liked Liz's Jewish Apple Cake and will be making that myself sometime (just search for recipes on the internet -- there are dozens). Simon's gingerbread was much admired and I notice he has sent the recipe to Nick.

Earlier in the day I made blanquette de veau (slow cooked veal casserole). I bought the veal on special at Auchan. It was €10.95/kg with a 20% discount, so I paid $11.97 for 1.37 kg. It was Label Rouge certified, which tells you it was from calves suckled by their mothers in humane non-industrial surroundings. It also had a geographic protection certificate, and came from beef cattle herds in Aveyron and Ségala.

8 comments:

Tim said...

McVictuals Recipe is now saved...
thank you for linking...
and thank you Simon for making that one!!
And I liked your cake as well, Susan...
but couldn't have the Pineau with it...
I was driving.
And like a fool, I didn't cut a slice to bring home!! Damn...
but I was cutting chunx off the ones we hadn't had.
Cake whiteout warning...
again.

Pauline,darling...
there's a recipe for it here...
when you've finished the mincemeat for Christmas... ta!

We've actually just had Liz's cake...
for breakfast!!
Very nice...
and interesting Wiki info...
Liz was wondering where the Jewish bit came from...
must now look up recipes!!

Susan said...

Tim: Simon had cake for breakfast too.

Dean France said...

That is a beautiful Fall photo of Célestine!

Susan said...

Dean: Thank you!

Tim said...

How come all the wonderful Citroëns vanished after the SM, CX and BX...
A great advertising shot of an Icon...
Célestine... stop purring!!

Aussie in France said...

Sounds like a good time was had by all in cake-land! I like the idea of a mediaeval recipe. Is this a private club or can I advertise it on Loire Connexion?

Susan said...

Tim: Indeed. The Cactus just doesn't cut it in the looks stakes, does it?

LDP: I'll send you the details of the club. I assume there is no problem advertising it.

Stuart said...

What a beauty she is !

Post a Comment