Sunday 2 April 2017

Dolphins



A pod of dolphins cruises past my position on a New South Wales headland. Trust me, there are at least ten dolphins in this photo. These are Common Bottle-nosed Dolphin Tursiops truncatus and there were about 30 individuals in the pod, heading north. A few days later I spotted a Humpback Whale heading south.

Common Bottle-nosed Dolphins are the most well-known dolphin species and the largest of the beaked dolphins. You can see them in warm and temperate oceans all over the world, as well as, unfortunately, in captivity.

2 comments:

Sheila said...

Wonderful creatures, dolphins. When boating we've had them swim along beside us breaking water with the prow.
I read a heartbreaking account in The Guardian on Friday about the damage done by Cyclone Debbie. Sounds like it's going to be a long slog to recover.

Susan said...

My Dad got 100mm of rain out it, so he's happy for the garden. Our friends Matt and Nina posted a photo of a raging torrent going down their street, but I don't think they were flooded. They are all south of where the cyclone really hit, so much less affected.

Post a Comment